Sunday, October 19, 2008

My first microaquarium

October 15, 2007  
I created my Micro Aquarium today and its pretty exciting.  I used water from the bucket labeled 7... but I'm not quite sure what the water source for this was.  Maybe I will find that out later, because there are a lot of different 
sources and I think it would be interesting to know where my little organisms in my aquarium are from.  I also added two plants, not sure what they were, but one, I believe, eats creatures?  Maybe I heard wrong, not sure though.  Will find out more later.

So when i stuck my microaquarium under the microscope it wasn't very exciting at first.  My lab partner asked me to look at hers for a second so I did and saw something HUGE swim by.  So I thought, well where are my big organisms?!?!?  Well, I didn't find anything big like I saw in hers, but I did find some neat things mine.  First, I saw tons of these little guys zipping around and later found out that those are diatoms... but I didn't think those were exciting enough.  I heard some kid across the table yelling about seeing some cyclops creature, so I was determined to find one of those in mine since we had used the same water source.  And I did!  I saw several, maybe 3 or 4, or just the same one over and over... But they moved so strangely.  It looked like they were on a computer screen, but were certainly interesting looking...  Below is an image on the net i found.

Besides seeing 2 or 3 nematodes, I also found several creatures that I cannot even begin to describe, nor find to identify them.... oh well....   For example, one creature had a circular head and a tail, but it had these crab leg things coming out of the center of the head.  Also, another creature had again, a circular head, but a springy tail... it would whip out and its tail would be straight, but then suddenly it was coiled again and would whip back out.  The organism was anchored down by something, maybe it was stuck, but it wasn't getting anywhere.  

Unfortunately that was all I had time to observe since the lab was ending, but maybe next week I will be able to find some other creatures, and this time identify them! 





























 sources:  www.scientificillustrator.com/art/microscopic/cyclops.jpg

www.ucmp.berkely.edu/chromista/bacillariophyta.html



No comments: